Childbirth classes are a valuable resource for expecting parents. And now, you can save your seat in Inspira’s online childbirth class series.Read More
Preconception Screening and Genetic Counseling
For some women, especially those with certain medical conditions, getting pregnant is not always an easy decision or process.
Our team of dedicated reproductive specialists can work directly with you and your partner to devise a plan that may lead to a healthy pregnancy and birth.
Our Approach to Preconception Screening and Genetic Counseling
Genetic screening and counseling can help you discover unknown health problems and inherited conditions that may complicate your pregnancy. Because many conditions are detectable via a blood test, the screening process is often simple and virtually painless.
Your doctor will typically screen for the following conditions:
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)
- Genetic disorders, such as cystic fibrosis, sickle cell anemia or fragile X syndrome
- Other issues, such as hepatitis
Candidates for Preconception Screening and Genetic Counseling
Preconception screening and genetic counseling may be recommended if you:
- Have a chronic medical problem, such as diabetes or high blood pressure
- Take medication on a regular basis
- Are overweight or have undergone bariatric surgery
- Have previously experienced a prenatal loss
- Have a family history of inherited diseases
- Are over the age of 35