501 West Front Street, Elmer, NJ 08318
Your risk of falling and sustaining an injury increases as you age. Learn how to improve your balance and prevent dangerous slip-and-fall incidents.
Each year, older adults risk serious injury due to a loss of balance. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that In the United States, about one in four adults (28%) age 65 and older, report falling each year. This results in about 36 million falls each year. While not all falls result in an injury, about 37% of those who fall reported an injury that required medical treatment or restricted their activity for at least one day, resulting in an estimated 8 million fall injuries.
Our Approach to Fall Prevention
Don’t let a fear of falling rule your life. Although your chances of developing a balance disorder or vestibular problem increase as you age, you can make a few practical lifestyle adjustments to reduce your risk.
Here are a few ways you can stay safe, stable and healthy:
- Stay active: Low-impact exercise, such as walking or tai chi, will reduce your risk of falls by improving your muscle strength, coordination and balance.
- Wear the right shoes: If you find yourself tripping or slipping, it may be time to reevaluate your footwear. Properly fitting non-skid shoes can also help with joint pain.
- Fall-proof your home: Remove obstacles that interfere with your ability to move freely throughout your home. Make sure boxes, furniture, electrical cords and other hazards don’t block your path.
- Light the way: Use nightlights to illuminate bedrooms, bathrooms, hallways and stairs to help you avoid tripping on hard-to-see objects.
- Review your medications: Numerous prescription and over-the-counter medications can have undesirable side effects, including dizziness, lightheadedness and difficulties with balance.
Inspira Health’s Balance Centers can give you the tools and techniques you need to regain your balance and your independence.
Why Choose Inspira for Balance Testing
At Inspira, we empower our patients with practical ways to stay safe and healthy at any age. Our dedicated team of specialists will work one-on-one with you to create fall prevention strategies that work with your lifestyle.
With a team of skilled specialists practicing in South Jersey, there’s no need to travel outside your community to receive exceptional care. Our local, highly-trained staff brings expertise, experience and depth of knowledge to our balance centers, ensuring you get easy access to the services you need to stay safe and prevent injury.
Inspira Balance Center Locations
Request more information about our balance disorder services or schedule an appointment at one of our balance centers.