Childbirth classes are a valuable resource for expecting parents. And now, you can save your seat in Inspira’s online childbirth class series.Read More
Written by Claudia Krusch and originally published in Trendy Latina
Designed to empower you to own your birth experience and care for your children. Expert advanced care in a warm environment that’s designed for family comfort and healing. So excited to have such an amazing facility just five minutes from my home!
Walk with me!
The entrance leading you into the maternity center is warm and inviting. I love the colors and prints! Unlike most hospitals, you won’t be intimidated or discouraged by dull colors. Check it out!
Here are some of the things I love about Inspira’s new maternity center at Mullica Hill:
- Outstanding care for moms and babies from Inspira, in partnership with Nemours DuPont.
Each room has its own mini fridge where you can store breast milk!
- The new hospital was designed to:
- Inspire and comfort. Inspira Medical Center Mullica Hill provides adequate space, lots of natural light for visitors and staff, familiar photos of recognizable local scenery, uplifting art, warm woods and welcoming finishing touches.
- Showcase local philanthropy and community gifts, which are recognized in a creative, uplifting way throughout the building.
- Make moms comfortable with LDRP rooms (Labor, Delivery, Recovery and Postpartum) where you have it all – a suitable couch that converts to a bed for your partner, warm wood floors, medical equipment tucked away behind side panels and the bed, which makes you feel like you are in an actual room versus a hospital room.
- Separate children’s Emergency Departments. In fact, there is a separate ED waiting area for children and families, too.
- Ensure children can have their parents with them throughout their stay in the pediatric ED or inpatient unit. The new hospital also ensures moms can stay with their babies even if they are discharged first. In the Neonatal Intermediate Care Unit nursery, Inspira instructs moms on nursing their babies who need it most, and caring for their baby who may have more complex needs when they go home.
Something else I love about the new hospital is the safety of their high-tech monitored units with information displayed both outside and inside of the room, bringing comfort and safety to patients.
This is extended through the GetWell Network system, where patients have access to information about their condition, entertainment and can even ask questions, all at their fingertips!
My Talk with Dr. Josephine Urbina, OB/GYN, Inspira Medical Group :
- Why do you do what you do? What is your philosophy or inspiration?
- “I love helping women. I enrolled in medical school knowing I wanted to specialize in obstetrics and gynecology.I feel honored to be able to take care of women during some of the most memorable times in their lives. It’s always my goal to deliver the best care possible.”
- Why are you excited about the maternity services at the new hospital?
- “Our patient population is growing, and it’s going to be great to provide new space and services to help each woman feel comfortable during her special time in labor, delivery and in the postpartum.”
- What is great about the Nemours/Inspira partnership?
- “That our newborns get cared for by pediatricians affiliated with one of the nation’s leading children’s hospitals.”
- How do your maternity accommodations for parents at Inspira Medical Center Mullica Hill differ from those at most other hospitals? Why is it important?
- “The biggest difference is our LDRP rooms. The room a patient is admitted to is the same room where she can experience labor, delivery and postpartum care.”
- What does owning your birth experience mean to you?
- “It means being aware of all your options, and being fully informed of the care that’s being offered
- “It means being empowered, and that translates to being aware of all your options and fully informed of the care that’s being offered to you. Then, you can make the best decision possible for you and your baby with the help of your doctor.”
- What do you want women planning to be parents to know before they get pregnant?
- “Start taking prenatal vitamins at least three months before you plan on becoming pregnant, and have a prenatal visit with the OB/GYN or Midwife you choose.”
- Should parents go on a tour and take classes before they give birth?
- “Yes!!! It helps to know what to expect throughout the entire experience. Plus, doing Lamaze or a birthing class comes in handy during the second stage of labor. Especially, if you are choosing a birth without medication.
- What can women who need C-sections expect in the new hospital?
- “Inspira offers gentle cesarean deliveries, and the operating rooms in the maternity center at Inspira Medical Center Mullica Hill are set for this. Every effort is made to involve mom. They make skin-to-skin contact between the mom and baby before they leave the operating room a priority.”
I also loved discussing the new facility highlights with Dr. Noeet Elitsur, a neonatologist from Nemours DuPont Pediatrics working in partnership with Inspira.
- What is your training and experience as a neonatologist? Which babies do you care for?
- “A neonatologist is a pediatrician that goes into further training (a 3-year fellowship) to specialize in newborn medicine. We care for all newborns that are born prematurely and any baby born sick, or having difficulty transitioning from fetal life to newborn life.”
- Why are you excited about the Neonatal Intermediate Care Unit nursery at the new hospital?
- “I’m so excited because each room is private and allows for the mothers to stay in the same room with their babies. There is a refrigerator for breast milk and a bottle warmer in each room. This is an incredible setup as it promotes maternal and infant bonding, and encourages continued breastfeeding.”
- “The private rooms are also great because as a new mother, your baby’s health and well-being are a huge stressor. For the mothers, being actively involved in their baby’s care can be therapeutic. We encourage all parents to be involved in their baby’s care as much as possible, and this setup allows that.”
- What do you want all parents to know about what you do?
- “Most parents don’t plan for their baby to need medical care after birth. This situation is not in anybody’s birth plan. This is why it’s so important to choose a hospital that has access to advanced neonatology care should any unexpected problems arise.”
- “At Inspira, we have Nemours physicians available 24/7 for any emergencies. We are also present at high-risk or C-section deliveries for evaluation of the baby. Ideally, you don’t want to see us during your labor and delivery experience; however, knowing that we are available is a good thing. We want to be sure that you and your baby have a positive experience as well as a safe experience when delivering your baby.”
- “If your baby does need our services – we like to keep parents updated regularly and we promote parent participation in their baby’s care in the nursery.”
- “Parents are so important to the healing of a sick infant or child. All of the spaces where babies and children will stay in the new hospital are designed to support family bonding and comfort.”
Dr. Haytham Hamwi, pediatric hospitalist from Nemours DuPont Pediatrics, shared some important information with us:
- What is great about the Nemours/Inspira partnership at the new hospital?
- “Nemours is committed to bringing pediatric expertise to South Jersey, and we have a very strong partnership [with Inspira]. The kid-friendly pediatric ED space in Mullica Hill is designed specifically to facilitate high-quality care by experienced ED doctors working with 24/7access to consult with Nemours pediatricians. I’m especially excited that the state-of-the-art pediatric ED and inpatient areas share specialized pediatric-focused staff in a conjoining space nestled away from adult areas. And, the design of the pediatric and Neonatal Intermediate Care nursery spaces really supports parents staying with their children and participating in their care. It’s a great partnership [for] Nemours, Inspira and parents.”
I was so excited to witness the birth of an innovative experience. Such a new concept, I can’t wait to share with all the families in my area!
I can’t wait to hear what you think about the new Inspira Medical Center Mullica Hill. It’s slated to open to the public for care this December – so exciting!
As usual, give us a Trendy Shout!