Childbirth classes are a valuable resource for expecting parents. And now, you can save your seat in Inspira’s online childbirth class series.Read More
Maternal-Fetal Medicine (High-Risk Pregnancy)
While planning can reduce the likelihood of some complications, not all issues related to high-risk pregnancy are preventable.
Pregnancy is both an exciting and challenging time for mothers-to-be and their families. While careful planning and preparation can help to reduce the likelihood of certain complications, some issues related to high-risk pregnancies are unexpected or unpreventable.
But, with the skilled intervention of a trained maternal-fetal medicine specialist, also known as a Perinatologist, women with complications before, during or after pregnancy can experience better outcomes.
Penn Maternal-Fetal Medicine Diagnosis at Inspira
Inspira's partnership with the Penn Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) team means that board-certified, fellowship trained physicians are available 24/7. A MFM specialist is an obstetrician who has received additional training (a fellowship) and can evaluate, diagnose and monitor high-risk pregnancies. These specialists are trained with advanced prenatal technologies and will collaborate with you and your provider to increase your chances for a successful pregnancy.
Penn MFM specialists are nationally recognized leaders in all aspects of high-risk pregnancy care, medical education and perinatal research.
If you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant, it’s important to understand the underlying health conditions that could contribute to a high-risk pregnancy. These include, but are not limited to:
- High blood pressure (hypertension) or preeclampsia (toxemia)
- Diabetes or other endocrine disorders
- Heart disease
- Infectious diseases
- Gastrointestinal issues
- Family history of genetic disorders and conditions
- Pregnancy complications
- Placental abnormalities
- Pregnancies with multiples (twins, triplets or more)
- History of preterm labor and delivery
- History of pregnancy loss
- History of birth defects
Our Approach to Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Whether you are an expecting mother looking for a routine obstetric ultrasound or a mom-to-be with special needs, such as a physical disability or pre-existing helath concerns, our specialists can help you achieve what you might have thought impossible.
From preconception counseling to advanced diagnostic screening, Inspira offers a full range of maternal-fetal medicine services, including:
- Pre-pregnancy counseling for women at high risk for medical or genetic complications
- Genetic testing and counseling
- Obstetrical ultrasounds for high- and low-risk pregnancies
- Antenatal testing (non-stress testing, biophysical profiles and amniotic fluid volume assessment)
- Procedures that diagnose potential genetic conditions (first trimester testing, amniocentesis, chronic villus sampling [CVS] and umbilical cord sampling)