It’s normal to feel some level of stress during pregnancy, but chronic stress can result in a number of health risks, affecting you and your baby. Here’s what to know and how you can reduce stress while pregnant.Read More
While planning can reduce the likelihood of some complications, not all issues related to high-risk pregnancy are preventable.
Pregnancy is both an exciting and challenging time for mothers-to-be and their families. While careful planning and preparation can help to reduce the likelihood of certain complications, some issues related to high-risk pregnancies are unexpected or unpreventable.
But, with the skilled intervention of a trained maternal-fetal medicine specialist, also known as a Perinatologist, women with complications before, during or after pregnancy can experience better outcomes.
Penn Maternal-Fetal Medicine Diagnosis at Inspira
Inspira's partnership with the Penn Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) team means that board-certified, fellowship trained physicians are available 24/7. A MFM specialist is an obstetrician who has received additional training (a fellowship) and can evaluate, diagnose and monitor high-risk pregnancies. These specialists are trained with advanced prenatal technologies and will collaborate with you and your provider to increase your chances for a successful pregnancy.
Penn MFM specialists are nationally recognized leaders in all aspects of high-risk pregnancy care, medical education and perinatal research.
If you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant, it’s important to understand the underlying health conditions that could contribute to a high-risk pregnancy. These include, but are not limited to:
- High blood pressure (hypertension) or preeclampsia (toxemia)
- Diabetes or other endocrine disorders
- Heart disease
- Infectious diseases
- Gastrointestinal issues
- Family history of genetic disorders and conditions
- Pregnancy complications
- Placental abnormalities
- Pregnancies with multiples (twins, triplets or more)
- History of preterm labor and delivery
- History of pregnancy loss
- History of birth defects
Our Approach to Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Whether you are an expecting mother looking for a routine obstetric ultrasound or a mom-to-be with special needs, such as a physical disability or pre-existing helath concerns, our specialists can help you achieve what you might have thought impossible.
From preconception counseling to advanced diagnostic screening, Inspira offers a full range of maternal-fetal medicine services, including:
- Pre-pregnancy counseling for women at high risk for medical or genetic complications
- Genetic testing and counseling
- Obstetrical ultrasounds for high- and low-risk pregnancies
- Antenatal testing (non-stress testing, biophysical profiles and amniotic fluid volume assessment)
- Procedures that diagnose potential genetic conditions (first trimester testing, amniocentesis, chronic villus sampling [CVS] and umbilical cord sampling)